Pages

Sunday, December 10, 2006

Should I be proud of Indonesia?

Am I happy knowing the fact that I'm a Indonesian?



"My father is very cynical against Indonesia, You know, the corruptions, everything like those", said a Singaporean friend of mine, she's our class representative to the faculty..
I was disagreeing with her, I was trying to show that I'm proud to be an Indonesian despite those things..
Now I change my mind..
I was coming back from S'pore, I'm holding with me a neatly packed Singaporean delicacy: Bee Cheng Hiang(It's originated from S'pore isn't it?) in my hand and I was walking through the International arrival immigration checkpoint, and several steps from the exit door impatiently eager to see my parents waiting for me, until an officer held me back..

"What's inside that pack? It's meat isnt it?? Come follow me, you have to proceed to report this" I along with my friend holding the same packet of what supposed to be a gift to a small room..

We're like being interogatted, the officer showed me a legislation book about foods from abroad, telling, "this is illegal here, you have to leave this stuff" with unclear legal base but still persisted "Look at this point: passangers holding with them either pork, fish, chicked or other meat products are to report to the authorized"

"Now that we have reported here, what should we do to get out from here?"
"Ya...." He answered with weak tune "It depends on what you want to do!" It wasn't untill hearing this vague statement that I know they demanded for bribery to let us pass..

"Violence againts point number 3, 6, 9 and *several numbers i forgot* will be fined as much as rp.150.000.000 (approx S$25000)" says another point but as much as I rememberred the previous point wasnt the numbers mentioned and before i could find the previous point and argue with them, my friend father came and released us and "discuss" with the officers inside that room. I met my parents mentioned what happened and 10 minutes later my friend's father came out.

"Rp.20000(approx s$ 3) for each officers inside solved the problem!" he said..

This is my first time undergoing such condition, I felt like disgusted like wanted to vomit like wanted to spit on their faces.. Yeah you bet OF COURSE THOSE OFFICERS ARE INDONESIAN LIKE ME AND SHARING SAME COUNTRY WITH ME TO LIVE: INDONESIA..

Now, will you feel proud anymore if you were and knowing such people having the same nationality can do such thing?

Think Twice!!

3 comments:

Miss Zane said...

Well, first of all..
Hi ! =)

Oh i loove Bee Cheng Hiang.. hehe..
And owww.. your experience is just suck, man.. !!

Me, being an indonesian..
Hmm.. i'm not proud, whatsoever..
But then, however, i am still indonesian.

Keep living here ? Agh, non merci!!

p-queen said...

oh well...
i was never really proud of the people, though the country itself done nothing wrong..

bee said...

Interesting to read your real story.

I'm not an Indonesian. But my country is corrupt also, to a certain extend. That's why the people were angry and stood up to change their future - by the only vote in the general election.

I'm not sure whether Indonesia is really a democratic country where people can really choose which government they want. If yes, then as a citizen you should exercize your right in determining the future of your country.

Be proud of your country. If it is corrupt, you have the responsibility to rectify such situation. You are the future of your country. Serve your country, and you will make it a better one.

Disclaimer

The entire content of this blog including the title is not meant to contain any harm, or offense from or on anyone. Some foul language has been very harsh, but It is not intended to mean or mention or mock or tease or discriminate or offend, any genders, social status, races or ethnicities, or religions. If you find this blog harsh, or offensive, or inappropriate in any ways, William or William Luimenta as the sole owner of this web-log truly apologize.