Two days ago, In the morning we were supposed to meet at 10, and woke up in like 1015.. I decided not to take shower (yucks...) brushed my teeth and washed my face and rushed to sde and reached there at 1045 and no one was there yet. To think that I haven't taken shower and my project mates had been late the days before, I, who was expecting them to be waiting for me for 45 minutes impatiently since our project was undone and only a day left before submission, was feeling rather disappointed to know even that the most disciplined member of the team is also late!
This project meeting had taken two days of my free day: Good Friday and Saturday. Where on those two days, thanks to meeting from 10am till 11pm on both days + dota, I haven't gotten good sleep and repaid it on Sunday. Monday, same thing, meeting at 10 (same project), I was a bit late, and the meeting stopped at 2, I had my class till 4, print poster, paste them, then slept at 6... Woke up at around 12 to watch drama, hang around and play dota and had 4 hours of sleep before my meeting two days ago.
Well, of course without drama and dota, my life this few days would have been even more miserable, but thanks to that my sleeping cycle hasn't been very good so I didn't had enough GOOD sleep before the meeting that I'm gonna describe.
11am till 4.50am in the morning... That's like 12 + 6 = 18 hours in a day which has only 24 hours.
It's real frustating to know that the vietnamese in our groups hasn't finished her part even after those two days of long meeting (good friday and saturday) and monday.. Yesterday was: reading and adding up our reports to like: 15k words (50sth pages) and the time I spent most was on photoshopping maps. Why I never photoshopped earlier? Thanks to my dearest lecturer who came in to the room that we and the other group that occupied, he was called by the other group and he explained that we should do some adding up on the maps to show our recommendation to upgrade a new town. There were four new towns to be upgraded and the teacher came in quite late and I only started photoshopping at night after done with other parts.
Why photoshop? because of me telling them that It's easier in photoshop (it is) but adding things on maps wasn't that easy. I wasn't in charge of any new towns but a general type of recommendation description instead, I was only trying to make myself more useful after my parts were done, so I was photoshopping. But I was already really irritated when it was 7pm at our recommendation part was not finished yet and I still had 4 maps to do. Worse, when I asked, "what should we add?" I couldn't obtain solid answer. So inside my mind, I was kinda: "wtf, I'll just put this anyhow-ly", I spammed the rest with questions: "should I add hospital? how many? what about fire station? what about police station? here need to add what? so we don't mention what facilites?"
I was further disappointed to know that they were not familiar with their parts, when I opened a table that they have done based on my idea: "Oh shit, we've never thought of post office, what about senior citizen's corner? demolishing of blocks? Hey, wait a minute, we are supposed to add this! Hey, how come your school number decreases at the recommendation part? you are going to demolish the other 5 schools?"
What I suggested was that, we took the statistics of most modern new town in Singapore to make the standard to improvise the older new towns, but at least I told them to do it realistically, meaning it's not only about comparing ratio and converting them to new numbers.
To think that I'm the one who's been skipping lecture and tutorial, I was the one, not trying to be proud of myself though, who brought up the idea of that statistic conversion on Saturday. If I hadn't I'm not confident that we could complete the project. After all, what we've done was just analysis and plagiarized our lecturer's thesis on this module. I was the one who did the editing the other maps and I was expecting them to guide me where am I supposed to introduce new facilities. In the end, since they weren't clear of what to be done either, not sure of what they should put and where, and since I was doing the picture and we needed description for the recommendation and they were the ones doing them, I just do it anyhow-ly as I have said.
All worn out, body and mind, my mind keep blaming my group spitting out bad irritated thoughts.I could feel the tired feeling and at the same time I couldn't stop feeling more hatred of my group members. That's weird because the rest of the group are girls they are not slackers like me and it's not like me to feel such thing to girls. Not that I would say guys are better but, with such amount of stress and worry and tiredness, my mind got crazy. Luckily they were girls and they are quite good friends and my wrath didn't took over me and since OUR project contains MY score, I couldn't say anything. Probably I only showed a tired and bored face, but inside I'm damn fucked up.
Although we could still joke so the situation wasn't tense at all, but yeah..
After past 12am, what I could think of is just to finish the project as soon as possible and get a good night sleep as soon as possible. Things were not that easy since I had to create 8 maps, from 4 new towns, and I could only finish by 4.30sth am. We shifted our meeting at 8pm to Mc. Donald's and stayed till around that time!!
Then one of us asked us to draw lots for the guy who was going to present at the lecture. This was suggested since I showed no interest in presenting and therefore I asked, "so, all of us have to present?" Looking like one of us took my message indirectly "No maybe only 3 of us, or maybe two?" but in order for her to be fair she suggested that we draw lots. I took the first paper and my luck was in 40% of the unlucky ones (2 person out of 5)... I tried to persuade them that I shouldn't present but everyone were just tired and I think they also wanted everything to just be over. Again, I was frustated again, since, the presentation is optional but it can get you more marks, but not presenting won't reduce your report marks?
After some touch up and whatever that I didn't care anymore, we went back and I reached pgp at 5stham, to sleep and meet up at the lecture at 10am.
The lecture revised in around 45 minutes and I was out from the lecture room enjoying my stomachache in the toilet, then when they indicated to me that I should present later, I said no, crossing my arms, trying to persuade them to do it in my replacement. One of them, seemed like would do it in my place after that..
I saw two groups presented. First group looked like a normal group presenting their 15 minutes presentation while the lecturer had to stop the second group after they had presented for 30 minutes and they were not finished yet. Lecture time was over by then, however, the second group had left me a mixed feeling: relieved since lecture's over and my group wasn't presenting yet, even more frustated that they did so much more than us without seeming to have undergone such pressure (66 slides), they don't look like they just finished the slides 8 hours before the morning lecture, they don't look like they've spent 30++ hours in meeting in 4 days just for this project, yet their content was so much more analytical and contentful than ours.
My group decided to ask the teacher to let them present in his room, and I refused to join them since I have a japanese oral test to practice in 4 hours.
Anyways, I feel bad to have so much bad thoughts of my group mates. It was a hellish project for me, and I'm glad we've somewhat pulled out to finish at the very end. If this post is somehow read by my groupmates, I wish to apologize to be so unconsiderate in my feelings, though they were just feelings and I could have kept it and not tell anyone else.
What's over is over and yeah, this post will be a good record of what I've done.
4 comments:
From your post, your group:
1. did not have to do project for a group of 6, while your group consists of 4 people and while we are at it, the most disciplined one in your group did not drop out of NUS
2. do the project for one semesters, not 2 semesters
3. still got girl, not all sticks
4. is your friend, not your hey-i-happen-to-be-thrown-in-with-these-guys-so-no-choice
5. can still joke and no vulgarities spew out every 3 words
6. is not 'the worst group in 10 years I have been teaching this module' according to your professor
7. got only one slacker, ie you, and honestly, u not that bad
8. completed the project 8 hours before the lecture, and not 15 minutes before the deadline
9. total pages is 50 something pages, not 103 pages, simulations and failed calculations not inclusive
10. use photoshop, something that is commonly used, not some otherworldly software called Abaqus and Solidworks
Still... Kudos on the end of your project! Hope all is well :)
hahaha, okay, your project might be worse but the problem was none of us was working effectively that made us spend so much time.
1. we plagiarized the teacher's thesis: doesn't look like a project at all, and took two three days to plagiarize?
2. I'm the only one who does photoshop, if solidworks or other software that the rest were supposed to know, I won't be the only one.
3. Oh, forgot to mention T.T, after photoshopping so hard, the edited pictures(meant to be recommendation) was twice smaller in size than the original picture! What's the point? Where is the common sense? We would normally stress on the recommendation not the original state right????
4. hahahas, that's why I said it's not like me to hold such feelings, Normally what's over is over, but this time I just wanted to describe the project, how frustrated I was due to lack of sleep, ineffectiveness, etc.
why are we so damn tired when we have to do something useful until 4am, but not so if we have to do something wasteful (dotA) until 7am?
we play dota till 7am, the dota session starts at 11pm or 12am ==> max 12 hours..
this meeting? 11am till 4 am ==> 17 hours..
Dota max 12 hrs also super tired alrd. Imagine 17 hrs of meeting
Post a Comment