Pages

Sunday, February 14, 2010

3 years of RDs in SG

All these 3 years, I ate all the expensive food for reunion dinner with my relatives in Singapore:
shark fin, albalone, roasted duck, etc. (First year was in PGP ^^ if you remember haha).

It's not like I can reject their offer.
For me, half of my mind says that I should not be indifferent about this culture of gathering with my relatives and spend an annual gala dinner with them. In the end, they are my relatives and I should be thankful that I actually have relatives (well, quite close one) here and they don't mind inviting me every year. The food is always expensive and nice, and I of course, am always grateful!


But it's not like I'm having fun over the reunion dinner.
I may have had good food, but all the tense atmosphere like when they start to enquire about my grades (where all this while I hold the image of a nerdy, smarty, hard-working guy who's very good in studying but I'm the exact opposite just because I got into NUS as an undergraduate), and the atmosphere just don't feel right since they'd always include some other people that I might not know to the reunion dinner.

These are the common thing that makes me kind of relunctant.
1. One of the regular guys, Mr Perfect who is very rich and yandao and smart will most probably ask about my academic by initiating a conversation about grades. I'm not sure whether he's the studious type or not, he's got a great aura, as a rich guy with good leadership probably but maybe not for academics, but he graduated with a GPA of 3.6sth out of 4 sth in some University in US.
While in NUS, the CAP system is all about the comparison among one another aka bell curve and apparently I haven't been doing very well! 3.2 out of 5 sth. 
now of course I'd like to ask which university he graduated from, but it would just giveaway the hint that I'm not satisfied that he's not doing apple to apple comparison, i.e. by proposing the implied inquisition of "I wonder how you'd have scored if you were in NUS".

2. What is wrong with the people? Why they don't listen to you when you talk or why don't you see I'm talking to someone? I just noticed a very annoying culture of Medan people. Why'd you try to start a convo with me or ask me a question when I haven't even answered the question that your mom just asked me.
Or why are you giving irrelevant response? hello? are you listening to me? haha.
Wouldn't have been very different from my family either but yes it's always like that.

3. Oh, please my weight. My cousin who appears to be very athletic, would just keep asking about my weight.
"Eh william, how come everytime I see you you grow taller one?" 3 years he's been talking like that and actually in 3 years I didn't grow even a centimeter and maybe he didn't either. He kept showing his desire to become taller. And Then from the subject of Height, he will move to weight.
"Yes, you know, you should go and treadmill. Yes I do treadmill, if I'm free!!"
"No William you should do it regularly"
"Yes, I know, but school is really busy, I just finished my dissertation."
"You are just giving excuses, look at me, I'm also very busy and I do it regularly!"
---
Then, I'll just keep quiet. Okay I'm fat, thank you for insisting the emphasis that I am fat.
He's like just in poly, after he finished his secondary school in Singapore (hint: got PE classes) and he's CCAs are only sports CCAs, that's why he trains regularly.
He'll even act like a very pro nutritionist or dietician,
"you know, it actually doesn't matter if you eat a little and don't exercise. It's okay if you eat a lot but also exercise a lot."
and I anyhow said
"yes, yes, I was too busy with my FYP, maybe after this I'll start exercising regularly"
convo ends.
---

Every year or everytime I see him he's got no better topic to talk about and I'm just so reluctant to find a topic and start conversing with him and look as if I'm interested to converse with him.
---

I kinda miss my family for reunion dinner. it's been 4 years since we had a dinner together to celebrate CNY. Even if I don't eat the food as expensive and as good, I don't mind if it's with them.

No comments:

Disclaimer

The entire content of this blog including the title is not meant to contain any harm, or offense from or on anyone. Some foul language has been very harsh, but It is not intended to mean or mention or mock or tease or discriminate or offend, any genders, social status, races or ethnicities, or religions. If you find this blog harsh, or offensive, or inappropriate in any ways, William or William Luimenta as the sole owner of this web-log truly apologize.