Now I'm going to describe a story on one RA from my point of view.
Before he was an RA:
He was a cluster leader from my block. I work with him for one year because he was a cluster leader for two semesters and among all of the cluster leader of my block, I can tell that he is the one performing the least to my satisfaction. He said he's got a mild hemophilia and due to this, his body condition is not so strong and he's a vegetarian.
One day, he fell sick and I had to buy one meal and deliver it to his room and he skipped school because of his sickness and his being taken care under some medical attention.
The end of second semester, I thought of not giving him reimbursement because again, his job was not that satisfactory throughout the semester. He expressed to me that he wanted to be an RA and asked recommendation letter from me. I rejected him saying that I had had one person to recommend and that was the number I'd go for recommending people. I thought it was unjust for me to not give him reimbursement because his body condition is lower than normal people.
I also thought that It was wise for me not to give him recommendation letter because he's better off not being a resident assistant as RA is not an easy task and when he couldn't fulfill his task as a cluster leader up to my standard, he's not up to this RA task.
Surprisingly: he made it through until second interview and he's a person who can express himself very clearly and in a very convincing way and he managed to become an RA based on this. I don't know whether he has asked other RA for recommendation letter but he got into the team. R3 and R6 were scouting for one male RA and I didn't want to have him in my team and luckily he's in R3 and Irving, whom both residences scouted for, is in R6.
After he became an RA:
Meeting for Welcome fest to setup the committee. Publicity head was me and I was looking for publicity committee members. He was absent. And I got my members from those who attended the meeting. I presented and I mentioned that I needed people for the committee: Vincent raised his hand up and was officially my committee member then. Since yanyan's(last year's publicity head) and her publicity skill is undisputed moreover she was willing to help, so she's a member of my team now as well. Irving mentioned that he wanted to be in publicity to do the guidebook and therefore he's in my team. Well, the problem now is another vacancy, the crowd was quiet when I asked for another volunteer because I mentioned I need people with photoshop skill would be helpful in the team and nobody seemed to have the guts to join. Not even Waiyin who ever mentioned to me long time ago that she wanted to be in publicity team. At last an RA from R3 said to us that this RA wants to join and inside me, I was like "Oh, no... not him!"
But yeap, now he's in my team.
During job allocation, I allocated the least risky job to him.. "Infodesk". Why do I say it's least risky? Infodesk is a must in Welcome Fest and now it's under publicity committee job scope. So his proposal won't undergo heavy attacks my our boss. Well, so I told him to refer last year's program proposal because it was under program team. I gave everyone 5 days to create their proposals and so he submitted late and what he gave me was last year's program proposal only with the dates changed. After that, for one week he was hospitalized because of kidney stone and didn't contribute anything to the team. The next week, ms Lim raised up that she wants more focus to be put on infodesk, so she said to add some decoration and candies for the info desk. So I told him to amend the proposal accordingly with budget. What was changed was only one added line to his proposal he submitted. I had to edit like 40% of his proposal before combining it to my overall proposal just for infodesk.
I was kind of pissed off as he lacks the initiative to put his best of performance to the team and his weak body condition is not a reason.
The other day, I asked him to liaise with another boss and I stated the urgency that the team must finish all the things I asked them to do by that the date after the email because I was editting the final proposals and there are several areas of the proposal that needed changes. After the end of the day when I was busy with something else and I didn't check with the team member, I found out that he didn't do the liaising thing because he mentioned he got headache. For goodness' sake! Isn't it common sense to at least inform me that he couldn't do the things so that I can delegate to cover for his duty? I think headache as a reason is a bit silly, but since his body condition is indeed not that good I can accept his reason. But not informing me is just not acceptable when I have stated very clearly the urgency of the things they are supposed to do.
I reflected my concerns about his performance and contribution to my boss stating that he was not actually performing that good because of his body condition or whatever. I mentioned to her (my boss) about my rejecting of his request for recommendation letter also and my boss asked him to face her on a one-on-one meeting.
After the meeting he sent an email for me saying that the boss is aware of his body condition and his performance and that he felt that he has indeed contributed not much and will do more
from that on.
===
Well let's see if he does.. We are now going to the difficult part for his work.. so yes.. let's see..
2 comments:
I really dont know photoshop mah...
Welcome Fest rocks!
alinea sembilan baris tiga... lo beneran mau tulis nama?
Post a Comment