Pages

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Medan and non-Medan

"it takes two hands to clap"
That's a phrase used to describe a stand of view where in Singapore, where the service standard is quite low, the phrase rose to explain that Customers also play a role in achieving good service standards.
I learned that in one of my modules, and now this is to describe a few cents from me, regarding why is Medan so unlikable among non-Medan freshmen.

From few conversations I had few days ago, and from previous years' experiences, Medan has always been associated with aliens of Indonesians by the rests of the Indonesian community, and we are talking about the one in NUS. Applicable probably only for Chinese Medanese.
Why? Because, the abundant usage of hokkian, as an alternate spoken mother tounge other than Bahasa Indonesia in Medan, where Chinese Medanese might use more hokkian then Bahasa in one day, the way we speak our Bahasa are pretty much affected by that.
So, it's kind of easy to distinguish Medanese from the Indonesian community.

Here, Medanese are considered as separatists in the community. This is because to the above-mentioned fact that Medanese use so much hokkien that it feels so awkward to speak in Bahasa with fellow Medanese. While, bringing out the other fact that only very very tiny portion of non-Medan people understands hokkian, Medanese are often regarded as separatists because they like to communicate with each other with hokkian and thus, most of the time, not understood by the others. Probably it's like a whole new language to the others and the others are not feeling so comfortable, to blend in with Medanese when they use such unfamiliar language among themselves.

Me, myself, wasn't of any much difference, when I was a freshmen, despite of others' existence, I preferred to talk in hokkien when I was with Thomas, dank or Jessica, and I did feel that I was regarded as separatist. I tried to change the habit and was trying to bring the same message to this year's freshmen, as I mentioned via that casual conversation I had with the Medan freshmen. Well, they raised that indeed, they felt that they were somehow excluded from the others. I shall not mention names yet, but a freshman narrated to me that during his cell group with the rest of the Indons with less Medanese inside, one of the rest expressed that one of the thing she didn't like about Singapore is that there are Indons who speak "Medan" language. The freshman, felt offended and probably till now holds a dislike against her.

"It's not us who want to be separatists," They said, "We've tried our best to mingle with them, and of course we use Bahasa to communicate with them".
"But, sometimes, their mocking us (like how we misspell some words, use Bahasa in different intonations, etc.) makes us felt annoyed as well; since we've also tried our best to use our Bahasa".

These two lines made me came to this post and the phrase "it takes two to clap".
My stand is that, we Medanese, some of us indeed had persevere to adapt and blend into Indonesians as general despite the "different traits" that we have, However, it won't be enough for us to do so, unless the rest are also open and supportive.
I'm aware that some address those as a joke but some of the others might take it uncomfortably, or probably there are indeed some of the others who are not really fine with Medanese and the "different traits", and there goes my point: with such existence, the adaptation process will be hindered.

Especially this year is even worse because the Medan freshmen has got enough number to stay in their own group while in my case it was only 4 of us. There is larger chance for them to be in their own group, while 4 wouldn't be an enough number for social relationships.
But, probably, I'm just worrying about nothing because I also believe, partially, that as time goes on, everything will just somehow workout.

*Hopefully*.. So, all the best

8 comments:

The Lame One said...

bayangin gw... satu2nya dr purwokerto... biasa ngomong ala kampung, pake banyumasan... bayangin pake banyumasan, ga ada se NUS yang ngerti. buat break this kind of crap, perlu super thick skin n crazy sense of adaptation...

The Lame One said...

n btw... setelah liat artikel ini, gw bangga sama kalian (ga usah sebut nama ya? tau lah siapa aja).

somehow kt dateng dr budaya beda2, kt pake bahasa beda2, kt berantem ngga pake batesan, kt nyumpahin hopeng kt, kt ngejek orang abis2an, tp nama2 lo semua masih gw simpen sampe sekarang di msn under a category yang paling gampang gw akses, masih aja gw cariin kalo lagi keluar rame2 sama anak2 indo, masih aja gw inget kenalan di Jasmine Food Court lantai 2...

thanks guys... serius...

Aditzz said...

mike...yg artikel itu....elo?

Aditzz said...

Jasmine Food Court lantai 2....

damn memorial bgt man...second floor thing...masi disebut Jasmine Food Court pulak...

aaaaa kita dah year4 niiiii

instrumentaList said...

apa itu jasmine food court?! @@
i'm bad with names..

Aditzz said...

i suppose that was what we called kantin baru/foodgle hub today? I din kno it was called jasmine food court either. cm tau kantin aircon.

The Lame One said...

yeah.. it was Jasmine Food Court then.. I guess only few people really take their time looking around...

Anonymous said...

hahaha yr 4 kerjaan kayak bukit, pantek2... ud ambil module dikit masi aj ad bukitny capek2

Disclaimer

The entire content of this blog including the title is not meant to contain any harm, or offense from or on anyone. Some foul language has been very harsh, but It is not intended to mean or mention or mock or tease or discriminate or offend, any genders, social status, races or ethnicities, or religions. If you find this blog harsh, or offensive, or inappropriate in any ways, William or William Luimenta as the sole owner of this web-log truly apologize.