I don't feel that there's is a need to justify myself because I feel that I've put enough objectivity when I voiced my opinion that was probably influential on the decision of who would be the publicity cell members of NUSSU CBLC.
However, no matter what I say, it's bound that there would be someone out there who would find me biased, and I do not know whether it's really true or it's just my feeling.
Just in case that there is, I would like to give clarifications on the selection criteria:
1. You've gotta have a strong portfolio on publicity. Those who have a very impressive portfolio in terms of design, would have much more say to be in the publicity team, since publicity in CBLC in general is about designing skills.
I'm not saying that I'm not impressed on the portfolio that belongs to those who were unsuccessful in admission, but simply because the vacancy is limited and objectively I have to be stringent on the selection.
2. Nevermind the portfolio, show us what you've got else-what: Those who does not hold any portfolio or even designing skill, we'll look at other things like how a person can publicize a thing without having waste time on designs like campaigns, publicity actions that can give the delivery of the intended message to the public.
You can do stunts, weird and catchy actions? You can do props? You have more chance to be admitted.
3. Nevermind all those thing that I've mentioned: You don't have any design portfolio to begin with and when asked for any outstanding non-design related means of publicity that you could think of, you couldn't have any ring of bell in your mind? You just have to show passion: Very much of it. This is what mainly the interview is for: to judge whether you've got it (passion), whether you've got a value added thing: confidence, fun, etc.
I believe that some of you might not be accepted, not because you've got no passion: but you've not managed to have shown it to us. Even if you have managed to, others might have got the skill to show more.
After all, the point of the interview is that you've gotta be able to publicize yourself to us that you've got what it takes to strike an point of interest.
----
CBLC would have be more fun with the existence of some of you: I truly believe in that; and with that you should know that I had a hard time on deciding who should be in the team.
----
That's for publicity.
4 comments:
As his asst... I second that... Pretty tough to choose 8 ppl out of 20 shortlisted candidates you know...
hm...for the passion part. May I know how you measure and compare passion between your candidates?
Are you checking out how 'high' the are or how enthusiasts they are when they are interviwed?
How do you know they do not fake their enthusiasm?
It's no about faking their enthusiasm:
Those people who are very pro in faking their expression so as to get inside CBLC, we can't do anything about it but being able to fake that kind of thing, means he's a guy very good in his interpersonal skills.. It's an advantage in interviews in general right?
For gauging the rate of the enthusiasm or passion displayed by the members we observe things like:
1. facial expression: serious with burning eyes? or just the playful face, etc.
2. choice of word: compare "I will try my best" and "I will do my best", one word different impact.
80-90% of the person can say "I'm willing to learn"
but only one said "No matter what I want and have to be in CBLC"
and that one got in. The rest, had to go through very tough filtering.
3. confidence: Whether you are confident in yourself by speaking clear and loud with confidence. You can't afford to be humble and thus, you must state all of your selling points and if you don't do this, you are one step behind.
4. How 'high' they are was measured when they were asked to give one action or one sentence so that we could remember them. You failed to impress us? then too bad. Unfortunately, those people who can get 'high' easily can attract or leave more/better impression than those who are not.
I'm not saying that those 'high' ppl have better qualities, but, there are ppl with qualities and that goes back to my few points in the post like portfolios, etc.
My two cents...
Why passion/enthusiasm is important?
First, publicity is about relating to the mass. In real life, you will have to fake your confidence and enthusiasm when you are doing publicity, should you are not. If you cant 'cheat' the interviewer (aka convince us that you are good), do you believe that we should take you in, to convince the public?
Second, passion can also be seen from confidence in own work. To be fair, I know not all people are good with their enthusiasm, but they are confident with their works. From many candidates for pubs, I only received few portfolio. Regarding those who did not submit theirs, should I not question their passion and confidence in their works?
How did I measure?
Other than few that have been mentioned by nong, here's some other things that I do.
1. Eyes
Eyes (almost) cant lie. You can fake it but it is hard to maintain eye contact with the interviewer if you are not interested on the subject.
2. Impression
Call me unfair, but it is generally accepted that impression is created within few seconds. I scrapped many because they failed to impress me (public can be even meaner). Generally, when you are passionate, you would be able to channel your energy that interviewer would be able to catch it.
Post a Comment