It's totally a new thing for me, and for us existing RAs.
I've been telling a lot of people that I'm going to OBS for RA training just to show how excited I was! Although I don't know about this OBS thingy, so I've been telling people also to abstract tidbits of information about OBS..
Yeah and the last image of OBS that I obtained is that OBS is like a training for Singapore's secondary schoolers, where you play games and learn about teamwork (as usual) there.
So, I don't why I couldn't sleep on the day before the training day itself, but can't be because of excitement right?
We met at foyer and then went to Punggol by a bus. There were R2, R4, R5, R6 and Kuok's RAs. Several familiar faces including danny's friend, carynl who was just admitted as an RA I guess.
So after an hour of land trip and 15 minutes of ferry, we reached the other side of pulau Ubin which is used solely only for training purposes.
I'd like to go into details but I think it'd be boring to do so and it'd be pointless for me to spend my time typing so let's just go to the sharing session part.
It's the time after we had completed all the activities and it's the time when we were supposed to share about what we felt that we have learnt about ourselves; our highest and lowest point during the training period; and the takeaways as an RA.
I shared with the rest that I actually realized that I tend to let go a lot of things. For example, because everyone was so focused on building the raft to reach the platform on the sea, as a project, we had time limit. So I was one of the belayers (the safety assistant for rock climbers) and I didn't had chance to try rock climbing because we were running out of time to proceed with with the raft, but Thomas, who was a belayer as well, did try out to climb the rock wall.. hahaha..
The similar thing was during the launching of the raft.. There were only 8 or 9 paddles and I was already holding to one of it showing my interest to be one of the "machine" of the raft. But because a lady was asking, and that lady had contributed a lot to the assembly of the raft, so I thought it was okay to pass to her. But then she passed it on again to another girl who in the end gave up paddling after we were heading back to the shore. Damn it I should have hold on to the paddle and be selfish. I didn't share about me being annoyed by the fact that that girl stopped paddling though.
And then on to the highest moment during the training period. I was self-assigning myself to flag team, meaning to design a flag for the team, since in my eyes, the raft design team was a mess: all boys tried to be engineers and true enough, I'm the only boy in the flag team.
I thought it was okay because i think it was a good decision to contribute in the thing i'm better at. So my highest moment was during the coloring of the piece of cloth the trainer gave us.
I didn't sleep in the day before as i mentioned, and everyone was already worn out from the activities during the day but there I was coloring the cloth without any yawns because I was feeling so HIGH!! it's because of the Pentel pastel color that they provide us with. it's been like 7-8 years since I last touched that thing considering that I spent more than half of my life with Pentel during the early years of my life.
I can't understand the reason what's so funny about it when they laughed at me, guess I'm a real joker to them.
The second highest moment there was at the jetty jump. There was a plank from the jetty and then we were supposed to walk until the gravity pulled us down to the sea. The view was so great, the horizon, the reflection of sky on the sea water, and then although it was like one storey tall from the sea, I just looked in front of me with just a glance on the water. The view went extra fast away from me when the plank where I walked ended and after that everything became dark. After I rose out from the salty water and saw the light again, it was the greatest feeling knowing that you jumped! The feeling when I was in the air, shouting my heart out "I WANT TO SLEEP" was great too!!
Yeah, now the boring part is what you can take away as an RA.
No need to share lah.. Normal stuffs: Teamwork, leadership, taking care of one another.. blah blah blah..
I mentioned to people that the jetty jump was one of the greatest moment of my life but it was disagreed by some friends, "Really meh? C'mon lah, it's not like it's Hawaii or Carribean islands; it's just PULAU UBIN!!"
Well up till now it's one of the greatest moment of my life since I haven't visited such place and because it was the first time free falling onto the sea from one storey high.. I don't do much extreme things okay? This is not even extreme, I know..
But being the first time, it's awesome!!
Well, I want to apologize for normal residents, that NUS funded us for this activity..
It wasn't cheap indeed as confirmed from my other RA friend who seemed to know the price of this training, i.e. $180/person per day.. It wasn't worth that much, not every cents of it (no, i'm not gonna use that term) since the food wasn't that good.. But it wasn't a thing to be missed since the school funded us, the so-called Resident Assistants. Isn't it like a discrimination towards normal students and RAs? Or can we say it's something we earned for being an RA? Anyways you decide.. Let's continue..
However I want to reflect again to myself. When I saw a familiar guy as one of our RA members.
W:"Hey Yee Han, you look familiar.. You are in NUSSU right?"
YH:"Yeah"
W:"Which standing committee are you from?"
YH:"Errrh.. I don't have any standing comms"
W:"OOooh, so you are an Exco eh?"
YH:"Yeah"
W:"So what's your position in Exco"
YH was silent for a moment..
Other RA:"Man! he's the president"
W banged the dining table out of surprise..
"DAMN, no wonder you look so familiar, I saw you at the appreciation dinner!! hhaha"
Yeah, Now I feel embarrased to myself thinking that I quitted Bizcom taking RA as an excuse.
This guy is a NUSSU President and still he's an RA (Although I'm PGP RA managing one whole block and he's KFH RA which is only in charge of one floor of the block, but imagine how busy is a NUSSU President cum RA cum Year 4 student). Well, indeed, I still had Pinus exco and Nustyle back then, but I was kinda MIA from everything thinking that I had a limit and I'd probably need to prioritize things.
Now I realized that I was just resorting to my comfort zone not trying to cross a single inch from it.
This is what I should have shared also.. I didn't but now I am, with different group of people.
Yeah, I digressed and now back to the topic, OBS, and proceed with the closing sentence...
There a lot of great memories in my life and spending my 40 hours here was one of those I don't want to forget. 40 hours were probably quite too short hahaha, but being there too long will spoil the joy hahahhahah
7 comments:
ini nih...kesini nih larinya uang kita2 para resident...
kayaknya kita musti minta refund ke winong neh...
ayo nong...
ckckck... itu yg ngmg hawaii ama carribean sapa ya nong?
wowowowowo
RA...dah tinggal gratis, dapet training mahal bgini lg...T_T
loe coba tanya2 yeehan,nong..cicinya lebih jagoan lagi drpd dia..
Post a Comment