Disclaimer: No offense meant in this post, just an opinion, there's bound to be disagreement or differences in opinion.
I sometimes can not get why Singaporeans complain that foreigner steal their jobs while it's already pretty damn hard to get a job nowadays as a foreigner in Singapore, especially as a fresh graduate like me.
I am a fresh graduate from NUS (bachelor, 2010), and these are what I think as my difficulties in finding a job:
1. This year no Permanent Residence offer letter - A lot of company only accepts Singapore Citizens or Singapore PR (SPR) for their companies. Reasons?
a. There's a ratio between the number of Citizens+SPR to ratio of foreigners (under Employment Pass, S-pass or Work Permit) that they have to fulfill. it's like 8 to 2 if I'm not mistaken. Chances are yes, we are 1/4 more employable.
b. Some companies just don't bother about getting EP, S-pass for their foreigner staffs.
I have received "I am sorry, we are looking PRs or locals only right now, we'll keep your records and will contact you if there's any suitable placements?" few times (via call)
2. This is Singapore. It's natural that if two people of the same competitiveness (one Singaporean, one foreigner), the local will be more considered. Why? Foreigners has got cultural differences, why bother to get someone who will need time to adjust to the working environment. remember the ratio I just mentioned above?
3. National Service. Is a selling point. It's indeed time-saving to graduate 2-4 years earlier than normal Singaporeans but who would believe that this boy, 20 is of the same maturity with people who went through NS?
4. Government Job? A lot of Government Related Companies and their jobs are only for Singaporeans. It's totally logical since they might need you to deal with confidential information. I am not even complaining that I can't get to some of these companies, it's just that Singaporeans need to see what privileges you have as a citizen. Examples: DxO, Temasek Holdings, etc.
5. Connections. Ah C'mon. We all know that connections, Character referees play a lot of role in getting employed. Although it's a meritocratic society, it's better if you have someone in the company that you are applying to who can verify your good attitude, or something like that. Members of families, relatives, friends, friends of parents or relatives, etc. We, foreign fresh graduates, we generally don't have that kind of luxury.
6. A shelter. We need to pay rent. If you are a local and you are staying with your parents, you should be thankful! Rather than thinking about which proper career path that I am gonna take, my money is running out and it's rather difficult to wait for the best job. It's more like "I'll just take a job to cover my expenses first" rather than "I want to take this job for my future career prospects".
7. Bond and Loan. Yes, common University fresh-grads like me who are not that smart and who didn't come under scholarship, or who don't have a super duper wealthy parents to support on my HUGE expenses forever(compare expenses for the same thing in Singapore and in my home country), I have to rely on Tuition fee Loan and Tuition Grant. I need to work in Singapore or in any Singapore registered company around the world for at least 3 years and pay my loan within 3 years. Basically I can't just decide to work first in my home country or any other place first, the interest's gonna grow and suffocate me!! My options are limited.
8. Some legislation requires certain job to be only available fo PRs or Locals, such as being a Financial Consultant or Real Estate Agent (not that I am considering those positions though).
It's really tiring to get a job.
191 Applications sent out from May till now. I started from February (didn't track the number of application).
Around 10 interviews, 2 rejected job offers (for various reasons).
William - Still unemployed and still looking for a job.
1 comment:
191 applications, 10 interviews....I can feel u bro.
Post a Comment