Well, I was having an informal meeting with the publicity vice to discuss publicity things and somehow the Chairperson (Ken) and the Program head was there as well. Three of them are from Residence 3 and I, the Publicity Head, am from Residence 6. Well, having the other two helped me clarify the things to be done for this time's publicity but apparently they were actually going to having some small gathering with their graduating senior from their own residence.
So after the brief and casual discussion, we started to chat random topics after the graduating senior came and join us. He's a year 4 MechEng student. Appearance is skinny and moderate height, but his face is like the forever young face as, IMO, he still have the childish look despite his age. (:p)
So I asked, "How do you think your life in NUS has been?" as a light starter. Well, he, with a bit of seriousness but with that cute look: "Well, my advice is enjoy your NUS life as much as possible when you are still here."
First thing that came up to my mind was that he might have not done so, and that's why he was advising this to us.
"What's wrong? I thought you have a nice girlfriend, your RA job is good and you've got a business here." (he's the owner of Red Dot Cafe at PGP and moreover he has just obtained super snack).
"I never said my NUS life was bad. I'm just giving you an advice."
Well I couldn't say he was wrong hahah.. he was hilarious.
Quite impressive for Ken, one of the other RAs, when he asked about the Vietnamese..
"So, what about last time the Vietnamese you've always talked about when we were having last year's Welcome Fest william?"
"Uh yah, nothing much" well, quite an impact i would say to hear anything that can remind me of that Vietnamese.. "Oh, that means my NUS life is screwed.. I'm going to year three already but I haven't had any girlfriend yet!!"
"Don't worry William you are still small.." Again, the remarks that I always receive..
Now to the part that inspired me to write this blog: It's when he asked
"Would you choose 1 girlfriend or 3 good buddies?"
Suddenly on my mind, a rush of different images came out: The picture of my buddies here.. The picture of the girls(yes, it's plural now) I like, How my friendship diminished back in high school, what could happened if I really have a girlfriend, etc etc.
I realized I couldn't answered but we were in cheerfully hyped condition, so I was like laughing, and I asked back "What about you? You mean you lost your buddies after you've got your girlfriend?"
He answered that some of his good buddies were not as close to him anymore and It's just either his coursemates and his newly acquired friends that were more close to him.
But he expressed that his girlfriend was a blessing for him though: He wouldn't be disappointed.
Well in our point of view, the junior RAs, He and his girlfriend are like the best pair ever. They are undoubtedly mature inside, they have respect for each other and most important of all: they are happy being together. We couldn't be more jealous of the pair. :)
Back to: "Don't worry lah William, you are still young.. It's best that you don't undergo this kind of experience yet. Because most of the time having relationship could end with you hurting yourself." Ken just agreed as he had had girlfriend before and he would have experienced the bitterness of being involved in a boy-girl relationship.
Well.. I told this to Mike and he, with his fast processor in his brain answered "If I were to asked that (the 1 GF or 3 best buddies), I would have asked him back in which period of time of my life you would want me to answer that?"
It is implied that Mike would have different priorities in different time in his life, which i believe most of us should have known which and which to choose as well.
Then I mentioned to him that indeed the seniors said that to me I'm still young that I won't have to worry so much. Maybe indeed I shouldn't have.
Bad arrangement for this blog, but Nevermind, let's get back to the senior RA:
"Maybe you are right, and maybe the problem with me is my age. Most of the girls are older than me so maybe I should just wait". I told him..
"Well if you really want a girlfriend so badly, the barrier is not your age"
He responded to me with confidence,
"It's your mind"
As expected, an answer from a senior.
Some thoughts:
The Question was whether I really need a girlfriend or not.
The Answer that I always told people that: A girlfriend may probably increase my life quality make me happier.
Another Question was whether I could afford having a girlfriend.
The Answer is "Good Question. Hard for me to answer."
But this is like the conclusion from what all of them indirectly told me.
We cannot have everything as some things come with the sacrifice of the other thing. The choice of having a buddy is one of the thing that you have to sacrifice.
Looks simple but afford not only refers to that.
What about the time we spend, the commitment, and our feeling if not everything goes as wanted?
For now I think I'll just see how things go. Enjoying most of my time with my buddies, meaning heck care that I have a girlfriend or not, my buddies are here and I appreciate that.
Well, Don't have to die die craving for a girlfriend, spend your time wooing girls (although I've never done this) and Who knows an angel will come to me and I'd be in the same condition with Scast: Girlfriends, job and buddies.
1 comment:
Good thoughts.
Post a Comment