oh, for this time's one it's my own mistake. After Captain's Ball Nite, I asked "Who are going to keep these syrup (sye-rup) bottles?"
*A silence for like 3 seconds*
Then they laughed.
Seems like they were trying to spot the mistakes first and then find the correct pronunciation for that. "Syrup (see-rup) lah!"
Yeah, this time, I'm the one who got it wrong :s, again like lounge (lo:ndj) which was supposed to be (laundj).
Okay, actually, it's not really the thing that I want to talk about..
Melinda's got email from one of R6 Residents. A chinese guy. The email is as follows:
=======
"I don't know whether you are the RA who exam block 28 today.But if your are,I feel sorry for you for your rude words and poor manner,lady.How could you say we got a strong accent in such disdainful way, while you yourself are a Chinese from Indonesia with a strong Singlish accent.Haven't you ever listen to the the stardand British or American accent?Don't you know what is the correct way of speaking?I feel so sorry for you,lady.Some of us may have their own habits when pronounce some certain syllables,but they will never laugh at others out of good manners.Have you ever wonder why some exchange students from the US or the UK totally cann't understand you at the first time when they came here?Because you,who think themselves as upper class just because speaking fluent English,are actually so poor at pronounce the joined sounds and so unprofessional when dealing with the pitch,stress and temper.Luckily,we can communicate easily with the American and British people, who do not have such a strong a local accent,like you.Be sorry for you,even though you may be a good RA, but you are certainly not a person with good manners and basic knowledge of startand English.I still can not understand,why don't you just listen to BBC sometimes?I keep listening to it every day,just for fare that I will change into the rare accent like yours.If I fail, then that will be your turn to be sorry for me, just as I do for you now.Oh, my poor lady."
=====
Hmph.. This particular guy is a really full of himself eh? He wants to complain but his English, at least from what we can judge from this email, is not that good either.
"Why don't you just listen to BBC sometimes?" Yeah right...
Looking at this email pisses me off although it is not sent to me. It was sent to Melinda because she said something about English during the room verification. Well, maybe the Chinese guy misinterpreted what Melinda wanted to say but sending this kind of rude email is just not right.
See, I'm also an Indonesian Chinese with strong Singlish accent and of course bearing the same traits it's normal for me to feel offended on this for this politcally incorrect email.
I'm not sure whether they can really communicate that easily with American and British people, if yes so be it. If a person say that but actually they are just so full of themselves thinking that they are already that communicative, then they should be ashamed.
At least Melinda sent a professional reply in the end. She might be childish but she's also not bad if it comes to being serious. Perhaps that's what the RAD saw in her and that's why she's an RA now.
Lastly, I hope this kind of people can just be a bit more humble eh? After all we adopt Singlish to just ease the communication. We are in Singapore, not America or Britain.
right?
11 comments:
he asshole,u what? u also make fun of other people's accent and pronunciation. He is just defending himself after being offended.
At least he got the guts to be honest.. Rude honesty is still better than fake good manner..
P.S.: It's true that native speakers understand them better..
We might speak faster,more fluent..but at the expense of ignoring the native speakers' ways of speaking and arrogantly dwelling with our own accent..
They might speak slower, but they have the right tone,the right pause,the right silent word, etc..
herm.. My position is with Adit.
they just got the accent, but they don't really speak well..
Like choice of words, fluency, etc. etc.
In fact, I think in OUR context, I use Singlish as a form of adaptation to Singapore. If I were to be a student studying in America or Britain then I would of course try my best to adjust to their accent so as to adapt with their society.
In this case, I believe, from what I heard from the other RA, Leonie was telling the Chinese guy that he doesn't have the Chinese accent which was a good thing. In spite of that, she received that kind of email.
So yeah.. I think this time the guy misinterpreted too hastily and responded with bad attitude.
Which in this case, triggered aditya to use the word asshole.
So I think it's okay.
so their accent is strong and we have no accent? hey..the first time,adit or you or me, open our mouth and speak english..people can straightly identify we are indonesian!
let's start the test
they - day
thing - think
rise - rice
fool - full
van - fan
bit - beat
tit - teeth (sounds wrong, refer to 71717)
that's why, nonk..go for exchange to U.S. or Europe..u will come back with a more "international" English..
I never say that We've got no accent.
Leonie meant a good thing, but it was responded in a bad way.
Since the way they responded is too bad, it showed that the guy was so full of himself.
Some of the words you give are homophone.
flour and flower?
in Singapore flour is fla:r, standard flour is fla:uer, same as flower..
But what can we do? I said fla:uer and they laughed at me.
I had to show the correct pronunciation to them, lolz..
A good thing delivered in a bad way is still bad.. I learnt this from working in Conrad's kitchen.. We might have 5-star food, but bad presentation will spoil it all.. That's why we need to wipe the plates, SPOTLESS
iya ted, gw ada make fun of other's accent n pronounce...tp at least gw ga anggep accent/speaking gw bgs.
A good thing delivered in a bad way is still bad...
betul bgt...lo bgt nih ted. rude honesty is also a good thing delivered in a bad way...which ends up badly most of the time.
sometime, Sometime, SOMETIME...devil's advocate is good for the sake argument. But u teddy...u have it all the time, which makes an argument turns into a fight.
Okay now not to english but how to deliver an argument?
bad or good I don't care.
I'd just wish everyone's not unhappy after I say something.
I think that's best in reality, isn't it?
guess it's still better to check on yourself first before you shoot on someone else, especially when it turns into rude comments.
i do agree with william on the point whereby singlish is significantly more commonly used in daily life in singapore, so it is not a must for us to have a british accent.
and, i never like "not" original british/american accent anyway...
Post a Comment