Having been the youngest yet the leader in the team is not easy.
Yes, I'm the publicity head of Welcome Fest 2008.
My team:
+Jane, Vice Pub Head: 3 years older than me. Skills: not confirmed.
+YanYan, No status (advisor for the vice and head): 4 years older than me. Skills: publicity, Photoshop, Videography and photography, video editting, and seniority in Welcome Fest and RA.
+Irving, Guidebook I/C: 3-4 years older than me. Skills: writing and linguistic.
+Vincent, Noticeboard I/C: dunno how many years older than me, Life Science grad student. Skills: Photoshop, printing experiences, publicity.
+Shiv, Info desk I/C: perhaps around 1 year or less older than me. Skills: not confirmed.
Well yes now to my analysis on them
++Pub head is me because yanyan had already hold this position last year so it's like giving us a chance. Vice is Jane because she's one of our senior RAs but well, let me think. No publicity experience, no photoshop experience: probably because she was very keen on arts: she likes to draw and so she volunteered to be the vice.
-- Jane has not shown solid ideas. She is very keen to do things but there are so much things that she wants to do and thus, she sways around her ideas, she has drafts on her mind but never really determined to use which draft. And when I say draft, it's draft, meaning rough and needs lots of things to add on.
**Lately I have been putting a lot of burden to her also by giving her so much personal opinions and injecting her with my own ideas. I know if I put myself in her shoes I'll be having a really hard time but I just want her to have her ideas solidified so that they can be proposed properly and implemented.
--Shiv, alright great, he's in my team, the clusterleader I refused to give my recommendation for his RA application, now he's an RA already and he's in my team. He told me that's he's good in writing, and some photoshop.
**Shiv has some seriously weak body condition and that may result in him not being able to contribute much in everything he does including RA and/or Welcomefest publicity and that is one of my reason of not recommending him. I know blaming on something he doesn't choose is not fair. But I can also sympathize that if he doesn't contribute much, he would feel bad on his own also because RA is a really really taxing job. Believe me..
Now Shiv's got some health problem and he has been going in and out the hospital for some diagnosis and treatments. He hasn't been contributing much indeed and I made a correct decision to give him the I/C with least risk incurred.
++Yanyan, indisputably very senior in this kind of stuffs, partially I understand that she wants to be the chairperson for Welcome Fest. I'll apply for that position next year. In the end Yanyan just become a humble member and provide backup because she couldn't attend the chairperson election meeting. I'm very grateful because now that she has given me a chance to experience, I shall work to my best with her guidance in management aspect.
--Yanyan is quite senior but I think she's tired and she would prefer the newer RAs do most of the job.
++Irving is a non chinese speaking Malaysian-chinese ethnicity. He's mostly english educated and his speaking stands out with the standard english he uses. I'm sure of his linguistic skills and I had to kick susan out because I told Susan to decide only either one of them to stay at my committee: so either susan in, irving out or susan out irving in. It's actually because they have the same forte there but Irving was new so Susan gave him a chance.
--I have found not much problem with irving but the jobscope itself. It's really really the most difficult part of publicity and now he's carrying the weight on his shoulder relying on his written linguistic skills. I hope and I indeed think he'll be alright.
++Vincent seem to know much about photoshop and vectors and also he knows printings quite well.
-- I would value his experiences in printings and publicity but i think he thinks that we are people who don't know photoshop / vectors at all. I haven't seen much quality products that is similar to what he has described in flowery spoken descriptions. Honestly I can do better things than what he produces with less time but since he's very enthusiastic in doing photoshop, I'll let him display his skill to impress me.
He's very open to comments but he sometimes doesn't take you seriously.
Let's just see how he'll do things.
======================
I wish my publicity a very very good luck.
4 comments:
leadership doesnt depend on age. Experience rules...tho generally age determines ur experience.
Luckily I'm not in your team...
Leadership sometimes doesn't incur experience. People learn by doing and leadership may purely come from the ability to initiate movement and actions rather than the experience alone.
luimenta said: ted..ted..most banner is PVC rite?
teddy said while WE-ing: ALL banner is PVC..
luimenta: except the one u made on ur own..
teddy:zzz.. (u r the man,nong..u r the man)
haha..
Post a Comment