This recent days, I'm so particular (that's what i think) to English, ever since the meeting for mid-autumn festival. So to make the snow skin mooncake, we need the FLOUR.
The capitalized words was source of the problem. So, how Singaporean and Malaysian would pronounce it would be [Fla:] or [Fla:r]. And when they pronounced that, I thought it, FLA when in Indon it means something like flour as well (or maybe it's something else related to food).
Then I when I realized they actually mean flour, I ask them whether that was supposed to be FLOUR, and how I would pronounce it is [Flau-er] or [Flauwer] like how you pronounce Flower.
Then because they were the majority and I was the only one with that pronunciation, and so they were like "No what, We've always been pronouncing it at [Fla:r].. Where got such pronunciation?"
"Got lah, since primary I know it's Flower's homophone, so how you pronounce flower is the same as how you pronounce Flour!"
Till I remembered someone showed about text to speech converter: a programs that speak out a text that you type out. So I typed flour and the program says [Flauwer].
So, I was so proud that I wasn't wrong and then I complained to almost everyone! lolz. "It's [Flauwer], we study American English in Indo lah.."
"Okay, then how you spell neighbour?"
"it's N-E-I-G-H-B-O-R, without U, toldya my English's American. I spell program, not programme, color not colour, etc etc"
"But why? I thought all South-East Asian countries, except for the Philippines, study British English?"
Yeap, so I actually knew and it was not a new thing for me that Singapore uses British English though they don't really speak like a British, and it's the same for me when I use American English and I don't sound American. muhahahaha..
But It's funny.. Before this, when I was quite new in Singapore I was like "Go to BED[bed]".
the same way you pronounce Bad. But they were confused. When I say "errh.. a place to sleep" and then they expressed "oh BED[be:id]!" And I thought I was so stupid. But now that I know I was not wrong again, maybe it's my turn to adjust to how they speak since It's not my own country I'm living in right now..
Mm.. But again... I think they should learn to adjust to American English as well. See, even Ms. Word, for British English spelling, the spelling would be red-underlined when you type programme instead of program. And I ever heard, both American or British is okay as long as it's standard English...
So..........................................?
No comments:
Post a Comment